Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Summer is over

I am back. Actually, I didn't travel a lot this year, but I took some time away from the computer in order to recharge my batteries.
Now it looks like summer is over already. It's raining cats and dogs, and it really feels like it's time to go back to the studio.

I made this little quilt top from dyed and printed fabrics.
It's about 30 by 40cm.

Last week, I had a little student. I introduced her to counted-thread embroidery. I took some pictures but I forgot to download them. It will be for the next blog post.
She also did her first weaving on my small rigid heddle loom.
She only wove for 5 or 10 minutes at a time, but I think she did really well.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Last day of June

Lots of colour and sunshine here during the last two weeks.
Watching the Belgian team playing at the world cup, one eye on the tv, the other one on my crochet...
A new warp on my loom, all bio cotton. The weft is cotton, paper, cottoline.
A couple of tentative small quilts up on my design board.
Machine-quilting my GD's quilt.
And, of course,  studying Japanese, reading and enjoying the beautiful weather in the garden.
I intend to keep more or less the same timetable in July.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Some news

This mosaic is a little summary of the last two weeks.
Weaving, quilting, crocheting, and enjoying the beautiful weather. The yarn I'm using for my crochet project is Tahiti by Schachenmayr. When I saw it in the shop, I just couldn't resist.

Yesterday, I finished the blue scrap quilt.
Although I intend to keep the vertical orientation, I think it also looks good like this...
I'm also done, at last, with my cottolin warp.
I tried several twill weaves and paid special attention to the selvedges. It's not too bad, I think.
Next time, I'd like to try floating selvedges to see how it works.
I washed the fabric. I still have to iron it and then to decide how to use it.
Probably some little pouches and also a couple of book covers, which means I will not see my carefully wowen selvedges anymore!
My loom is empty. For the next weaving project, I want to use the variegated paper yarn I bought in Kyoto a few years ago.
I've also got one or two quilt ideas percolating, but there's no hurry.

Saturday, May 31, 2014


I disappeared in quilting land to finish my large quilt. It's done, and I'm trying to enter it in a juried show. I don't think I'm going to post it before I know if it's in or not, but here's another little peek at the quilting.
I've also been working on the collaborative piece with my little GD.
We started to machine-quilt it, but she quickly lost interest... She says it's taking too long and it's boring... She would much prefer to embroider it. I think I'm going to quilt it myself, and then let her try the machine embroidery stitches. She likes the flowers and the heart stitches of course.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014


I started quilting the beast. It's been a long time since I worked on such a large quilt.
It's not really that large I know, but for the last few years I had been making small pieces. 12"x12" or even smaller.
I did the sandwich in the usual way and usual place (my living room floor). I used safety pins to secure the layers together. The batting is cotton and the backing is a old bedsheet that I hand-dyed.
In some areas, I'm quilting lines, very close lines. It's taking me forever on my old faithful machine.
I also started a new collaboration with a very young quilter. It's ready for quilting too. And it makes me smile just thinking of it!

Sunday, May 04, 2014

Expo Veldhoven

Yesterday, I visited Expo Veldhoven 2014. I arrived there so early that I was the second visitor to enter the hall! I had a very good time at the show, but I didn't take many photos as I was too busy chatting with old friends and also making new ones.
Anyway, here are a few pictures among my favorites.
The first one is "Dutch Colors" by Willy Doreleijers.

Next is "Skateboarders", a collaborative work by Susan Chapman, Christine Restall, Janet McCallum and Beverley Wood, from the group By Design.
Please read about their working process on their website.

The next quilt is "Insieme" by Elisabeth Nacenta de la Croix.

And then "Treasure Box" by Reiko Kato. (Sorry, the website is in Japanese. ;-)  )

I think it was the first time I had the opportunity to speak four different languages in such a short time span, and I must say I had some trouble falling asleep after this!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Back from Normandy

 I took a little break in Normandy. As you can see, the weather was just amazing. So, I spent lots of time walking on the beach, and also a little in the countryside. Normandy is green, very green. I love it.

I finished my two little scrap quilts.
This one has found a new home. I gave it to a friend who was visiting from China.

Now, I am quilting the large quilt. I took pictures yesterday, but I'm afraid I forgot to download them on my computer. It will be for the next post.