Friday, April 28, 2006

Sumi-e

Today is Japanese painting day. We'll have to select our works for the upcoming exhibition.
Up to now, only this one is barely passable...
I must admit that Sumi-e is a very difficult art to master, even more difficult than I thought. My goal in taking this class was to use the technique in my quilts. But I am far from it! After a few months, I am not able yet to do it properly on rice paper. I tried it once on fabric... It was a disaster!
Never mind, I shall persevere and try to improve my skills. I can be very stubborn when I feel like it.
I am also studying Japanese calligraphy, which I find much more satisfying.
Actually, I want to learn Japanese language. Calligraphy can only help me. Now, I know already a few kanji, while I keep forgetting the kana I try to learn by myself.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Francoise,

I was going to write that you can use the technique on your quilts, then I read and I believe you took the class to use the MASTERED technique on your quilts. Totally different expectation.

fabienne piet said...

Salut Francoise,
Je ne te savais pas autant passionnee par le Japon... On aurait vraiment du se rencontrer plus tot en Belgique...
J'ai aussi fait de la calligraphie nippone, j'ai beaucoup aime...
Mais depuis 14 ans, je n'en ai plus fait, dommage...